Breakaway European Super League founder and Juventus chairman Andrea Agnelli says the league can no longer go ahead after the six Premier League clubs withdrew.
Asked whether the project could still happen after the exits, Agnelli said: “To be frank and honest no, evidently that is not the case.”
Soon after he spoke, La Liga side Atletico Madrid and the Serie A duo Inter Milan and AC Milan announced they were all also withdrawing from the Super League.
Plans had been announced on Sunday for a midweek European Super League featuring 20 teams, which would include 15 founder members who would not be subject to possible relegation.
The 12 teams who had signed up included Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Manchester City, Manchester United and Tottenham from the Premier League, three clubs from La Liga, and three from Serie A, including Agnelli’s Juventus.
However, following condemnation of the plans from figures throughout the sport and a wave of fan protests, the six Premier League clubs announced on Tuesday that they were withdrawing from the plans.
Agnelli has now admitted defeat with regard to the Super League, although he maintains the proposals represented the change he thinks is needed in European football.
“I remain convinced of the beauty of that project,” said Agnelli.
“But admittedly, I don’t think that the project is now still up and running.”