Football Association chief executive Mark Bullingham has offered a “heartfelt apology” to survivors of child sexual abuse in football after fully accepting an independent review that found the organisation did not do enough to keep children safe between 1995 and 2000.
The four-year review, which resulted in a 707-page report being published by Clive Sheldon QC on Wednesday, described the FA as having “significant institutional failings for which there is no excuse”.
Sixty-two survivors of abuse and 157 further individuals gave evidence to the investigation, which looked at how the FA, clubs, and individuals handled reports of abuse at the time.
Responding to the report, Bullingham said it was a “dark day for the beautiful game”, that there had been a “gut-wrenching breach of trust”, and that the FA had “no excuse” for its failings. He also added that the organisation accepts and supports Sheldon’s recommendations in full and vowed to continue to improve its safeguarding practices.
“You have the deepest admiration of the FA. Your bravery throughout this process has been incredible. Your voices have been so powerful,” said Bullingham, addressing the survivors in a statement.
“I’d like to start by giving a heartfelt apology on behalf of the Football Association and the English game to all survivors, that this happened to you within football. No child should ever have experienced the abuse you did.
“What you went through was horrific and it is deeply upsetting that more was not done by the game at the time, to give you the protection you deserved.”
Sheldon Report: The key points
- Four-year review published into child sexual abuse in football between 1970 and 2005
- Evidence from 62 survivors and 157 further individuals
- Clive Sheldon QC: “Survivors deserve to be listened to, and their suffering deserves to be properly recognised”
- Sheldon: “It is important that this terrible history is not repeated”
- FA “did not act appropriately” following Barry Bennell’s release from prison in 2003
- Historical failures identified involving Chelsea, Aston Villa, Newcastle, Manchester City, Crewe Alexandra, Stoke, Peterborough, and Southampton
- By August 2020, Operation Hydrant had identified 240 suspects and 692 survivors
- Sheldon: “I do not want to give the impression that abuse in football was commonplace. It was not”
- Report makes 13 recommendations, including publishing safeguarding report every year
‘Report will ensure the game will never forget’
The report concluded that while “there is no evidence the FA knew that there was a serious or systemic problem of child sexual abuse within the game in England” prior to 1995, the governing body “did not do enough to keep children safe”.
Bullingham added: “I am proud to lead the FA and know the positive impact that football can have throughout the country. Getting people active, learning the power of teamwork, and having fun together. As a youth team coach, I see that impact every week.
“However, today is a dark day for the beautiful game. One in which we must acknowledge the mistakes of the past and ensure that we do everything possible to prevent them being repeated.
“Earlier today, Clive Sheldon QC published his independent report into allegations of non-recent child sexual abuse in football. This report is a very important piece of work and was commissioned by the FA after survivors bravely came forward in November 2016.
“I’ve had the privilege of meeting some survivors, whose courage is inspirational and whose stories are incredibly moving.
“They will never forget what has happened to them, and this report will now ensure the game will never forget either.”
Good has come from this bravery – FA chief
Bullingham admitted the report made sobering reading and offered “no excuse” for inaction at the time.
“There are consistent features in this review. Of bystanders who didn’t do anything. Of children that weren’t believed. Of the damage that has been caused,” he said.
“There’s a famous quote that says: ‘For evil to flourish simply requires that good people do nothing’. There are too many examples of that throughout this report. There is no excuse.
“While we recognise how courageous it was for you to come forward, it’s important to recognise that good has come from this bravery.
“You have been trailblazers in shining a spotlight on the horrifying abuse that you suffered while playing the game you loved. Without your testimonies, we would not have this understanding, and I would personally like to thank you all for your involvement, contributions and your honesty.
“Most importantly, detailing these crimes and the manipulative behaviour behind them, will help to ensure that abuse is less likely to happen in the future.”
Premier League and EFL issue apologies
A number of the allegations centre on convicted paedophile Barry Bennell, who was a youth coach at both Crewe Alexandra and Manchester City during the 1980s and 90s.
The report concluded the FA “did not act appropriately” following Bennell’s release from prison in 2003, and cited the fact no measures were put in place to stop him from returning to football.
Support Our News Campaign
Shop our StoreClick Here To Shop
While the report found no evidence he had returned to the sport after his release, the FA’s failure to monitor it “allowed children to be put at potential risk”.